This is your place to hear about social media trends. It is my objective as a young professional to cover all topics that are important to the world of social networks for a personal, professional, and corporate standpoint. Please feel free to interject, disagree, argue, scold, and even possibly praise my posts for I don't claim to know everything about anything, but I guarantee that I will try to have something to say about everything.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Stuck In A Rut- the story of a mud blogger


I am sitting here with about three word documents containing what seem to be the skeletons of three really low quality blogs that I can’t seem to push myself to publish. It is like each blog is a jacked up truck revving its way through a big mud whole and then WHAM! they hit a rut and sink into the mud forever. Recently it seems that everything that I write is going the way of the sunken mud bogger… or blogger

Realizing this caused me to take a step back and say well. If I was really out in the field with 4 trucks stuck in the mud, what would I do?... First, I would get the trucks unstuck… in the realm of driving trucks in mud, this is an easy fix, just run over get a bigger truck or tractor, hook it up to the stuck truck and pull her on outta there. Next, since I have never been one to back down from a good time in the mud, I line my truck back up at the start and get ready to go. Before slamming down on the gas however I would take a second to think about what caused me to get stuck on the previous run….

Most of the time when rooting around in the mud getting stuck is the result of an ill planned approach; you are lined up wrong, don’t have enough speed, too much speed, or a laundry list of other things that can cause you to go from 30 to 0 in less than a second (an uncomfortable jolt if you haven’t experienced it). Once taking a second look, I would get lined up and go for it.

This moment of evaluation is what I think I have been missing. I have not taken the time to look at why things are not moving forward and instead have just been running right back into the mud to get stuck again. It seems that this moment is often an overlooked action that quite people and businesses in their anxiousness to get moving again.

During one of my internships I had been put in charge of running the social media and on more than one occasion was confronted about something that I had posted, received a slap on the wrist, and then was sent on my way for the cycle to repeat itself, or to run another truck into the bog to get stuck. If in that case we (being me and the ones slapping my wrists) would have taken a moment to think “why are these posts being disapproved of?” maybe they would have stopped... 

Maybe this is just a fatal flaw of my own person being that it has seemed to begin to creep into other areas of my life, but I am hoping that since I have highlighted the dirty little [insert unspeakable word here] I can wring its neck and then stomp the life out of it eliminating the flaw for myself and the rest of humanity…. Regardless I am going to try and work on it and hope that you do to so you stop getting your truck stuck in the mud and can move on to the mud hole. 

If the advise doesn't help, I hope you can at least take joy in this guy getting himself stuck!


pic via brianromantoday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment