This is your place to hear about social media trends. It is my objective as a young professional to cover all topics that are important to the world of social networks for a personal, professional, and corporate standpoint. Please feel free to interject, disagree, argue, scold, and even possibly praise my posts for I don't claim to know everything about anything, but I guarantee that I will try to have something to say about everything.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Ways Social Media Is Like Nature: Unpredictability

This is the first post in a series of posts that I have been thinking about writing connecting the natural world around us to the technological world of social media in our computers. To kick things off I am going to start with the unpredictability of social media and nature.

Social media is unpredictable. Now, I know many of you may say that this is not true and that meteorologists and data analysts/social media experts can both tell the future. I say you, and anyone agreeing with you is full of… it. The weatherman is right say about 4% of the time and I am almost positive I could guess without looking outside and get it right as much as they do. I mean you only have (generally speaking) a few choices; Hot or cold, dry or wet, sunny or cloudy and half of these can be identified by knowing the time of year and geographic location… and even then there has been hail in Texas during June. Social media is just as, if not more, irregular. The numbers of factors that play into social media interaction are numerous; I am just going to ramble off the first few in my head right…… now

1.) All of your followers

2.) Changes in your industry

3.) Technology updates

With those three I think there is a great point made. Actually, I believe that 2 and 3 are not even necessary. Your followers, their interaction with you and your brand, the very thing that makes social networking social is also the very thing that makes it unpredictable. You can never prepare for an ill-timed negative post about your company or person just like you cannot prepare for being struck by lightning. You can however prepare by staying engaged and watching for the signs of poor weather and be ready to handle the situation when it arises by having a strong and consistent message to communicate that can be transmitted again and again by your loyal followers. Just like an umbrella, this web of friends will help keep you dry when the social weather takes an unexpected turn for the worst.


Pic via (www.innovationcanada.ca)

No comments:

Post a Comment